The driving checks are important because truck driving is not an easy job as it seen, handling almost 75 feet length in traffic, bad weather, day nights and muddy roads. Doing all this and keeping your driving license safe, because you are driving for bread and butter. Your safety is vital, if trucker is safe on road, he/she is spreading great safety message to other drivers on the road. Below are some Safe driving tips for truckers.
Before hitting the road, it is very important to inspect your vehicle. A truck inspection sheet (schedule 1), hammer, flashlight, gloves, safety shoes and safety vest are needed for truck inspection. Follow a safety inspection sheet and circle around keeping vehicle on left. Being honest on inspection, keep your CVOR clean.
Planning your trip
Starting from road condition check truck entrance where you going to pick or deliver. You can check truck entrances here and if you visited a difficult place, please enter the details here, everybody can use it. Watch local weather forecast and plan accordingly. Try to avoid going in unsafe weather conditions.
Here are most important Ten Driving checks
- Stay safe, alert on the road, every collision is preventable.
- Monitor your following distance as per weather conditions. Bigger cushion gives more comfortable stop. Don’t try to chase small vehicles.
- Don’t change lanes, unless really needed, changing lane just to pass, may lead to collision or road rage. Consider it for construction, lane closures, emergency vehicle and for old guy driving his grand dad`s gift on 45 mph.
- Use trucker`s GPS, keep it updated.
- Pay extra attention to ramps, bridges especially in winter. The cautionary speed posted there is for cars.
Avoid driving at night, but if you have to stay upfront, freezing rain and night is worse, try to sit at truck stop that night.
- Take regular brakes, don’t think about miles, because miles will be there if you are safe.
- Rock n roll on turns, trucks are so big can easily catch on poles, curves, turn at walking speed, so you can stop right away if there is danger.
- Don’t get involved in music or radio you are listening, music effects attitude and change your decision making.
- Monitor load and vehicle condition regularly, worse can be front tire flat on highway, air leak no breaking power, etc. can lead to serious conditions.
Safety of a truck driver is very important, it is in a professional hands, alert, alive, arrive.