Is it worth being a trucker?. Yes, I think it is worth being a truck driver or an owner-operator. Because
- You are on the paid vacation
- Say goodbye to the bosses
- A trucker life at the truck stops
- The income of a trucker
- The availability of truck driver jobs
- You do not need a university degree to start trucking, a little investment business.
Let us start with the pros of being a trucker.
What is the best being a trucker?
You are a traveler
You are on a picnic every day as a trucker. Long haul truck driving is the best occupation for travel lovers. You can see amazing North America and meet fantastic people. Enjoy the breakfast in Ohio and dinner in Kentucky. You can taste the outdoor venture of the sunrise, sunset, early morning, dusk time and night. Think of crawling through the panoramic views of the Pacific Coast Highway and the scenic passages through the mountains. Imagine enjoying the snowfall of Wyoming, rainy day in Alabama and hot summer of Florida. Is it worth being a trucker? Yes, it is if you want to enjoy the paid vacation.
Be the boss.
Where are your bosses now? the lead hand, the supervisor, you left everybody behind in the factory. Nobody is on you to monitor your production, packaging and skid making, more safely you gas, more doodle you enjoy. Your closest friends keep in touch with steering wheels, brakes, accelerators, and a gear grinder with the enemy skull. Stay connected with them and arrive alive.
Think about waiting in the line for a microwave, your all personal kitchen is scratching your back. Your break is on the brake pedal, just need to ease off the accelerator and park at a safe spot. A fresh air button is in your hand and your favorite coffee is in the cupholder. The electronic logbook has certainly disrupted such freedoms, but it is still better than working in a factory. Is it worth being a trucker? Yes, it is if you want to be your own boss.
Truck stops with a motel, spa, pools, and gym
It all depends on how much you save and how much you want to spend. But every day you have a great chance to enjoy a spa, gym, indoor games. You can find there are a lot of truck stops with gym, truck stops with indoor games, truck stops with lot lizards, and more activities for truckers. We have a social media group “trucker“, you are invited to share truck stops with amenities.
Thanks to the electronic logbooks, you have plenty of time every night for activities on the truck stops.
What a truck cabin is like?
A truck driver cabin is not less than a hotel room, depends upon how tidy you are. You got your own private kitchen with all amenities, fridge, stove, microwave, dining/working pull out space and outlets for 12 volt small appliances. The bedding is great, you can make it a dark room, with small fresh air windows, climate controls for a comfortable sleep. Your TV remote is 100% yours, watch your favorite TV shows, movies, and sports. There is a lot of TV on-demand, NetFlix subscription options available for the truckers. Is it worth being a trucker? You will answer yes once you setup your cabin.
Can you make good money as a truck driver?
Yes, you can earn good wages as a truck driver. An average salary of a truck driver in Canada is $70K a year. Local truck drivers do not make that much, the average income of a city truck driver is around $60K. The working hours of truck drivers are longer around 60 to 70 hours a week. The income of a truck driver is almost the same as the blue color job. But you need a university degree for the blue color job instead of a CDL.
Are there any perks for truckers making it worth being a trucker? What are the perks for truck drivers?
As a trucker, you can enjoy good financial rewards, bonuses, and perks. Some trucking companies offer signup bonuses but depending upon how long you stay on the job with them. There are safe driving rewards, but some bonuses and financial rewards are based on the milestones. You can enjoy truck shows, family BBQs and trucking-related events.
Read our job-specific article to find out more about the income of a truck driver.
The future of Trucking jobs
Is the trucking is in high demand? Yes, it is. You can find a fair amount of trucking jobs. For an experienced trucker, it is easy to jump around the companies even in this epidemic. The “Now Hiring” advertisements on the tractor-trailers in the US and Canada answer yes to is it worth being a trucker?. This indicates that the truck driver shortage is at the peak level. Your future is bright, but there is a piece of bad news in the form of autonomous trucking. The trucking companies and advanced tech giants working hard on the driverless trucking. There may be fewer trucking jobs within the next 10 years. You do not need to worry as of now. There are numerous of trucking jobs in our social media group “truckingjob” join us today and explore the opportunities throughout in the US and Canada.
You are a national hero in the emergencies.
Give your heart and soul in emergencies. You are a real hero, delivering food, grocery, and medical supplies to keep the public alive. As right now we are watching our truckers, delivering food and groceries in the Covid19 outbreak.
Is it hard to be a trucker?
It is not that hard to be a trucker. You need the CDL and then start. There are a lot of trucking companies hire new truck drivers, just grab the truck driver license and start exploring. Try trucking, and answer yes to Is it worth being a trucker? I bet you, you won’t go anywhere once you started trucking.
What is the hardest part of being a truck driver?
The following are the reasons why people leave trucking.
- A truck driver misses most Birthdays, BBQs, Parties and even Weddings. Home time is the biggest sacrifice.
- You might have seen trucks on the roads, on truck stops, and in yards on national holidays like on Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, Father’s day, Mother’s day, etc.
- A truck driver sacrifices major events of life like marriage anniversary, family get-togethers, etc.
- OTR long haul drivers often miss the first. The first step, word, first day at school of little ones.
- You may not be there to tell bedtime stories to kids, often miss the school plays, parent-teacher meetings, etc.
- A truck driver not always there to celebrate with kids when they come from the school with a medal.
- As a trucker, you may be miles away, when your family needs you in any crisis.
- A carrier with a few or no advancement opportunities. You can start as a trucker, become an owner-operator and than start your own trucking company. But in this competition, high insurance and maintenance costs, you can only die to a dream.
- The bad news is the salary of a truck driver is almost the same for 10 years. Look at the housing, food and living costs, they all are skyrocket, but the freight rates and the payment of a trucker is riding a turtle.
- The last problem in trucking is the hardest law enforcement. It looks easier to meet the US president than passing a DOT inspection.
Still do not lose your heart, We have an ongoing discussion on is it worth being a trucker? See you on our Facebook groups for truckers, Join us and share your experiences.
APPRECIATE OUR ROAD SOLDIERS, BE A TRUCKER.