Should you be hauling for a 3PL?
An opportunity may have come your way, and you’re wondering if there are benefits trucking for a third-party logistics company. Maybe you already work as a trucker and are considering a move to a third-party logistics company. Whatever the case, there are lots of benefits of working for a 3PL trucking company.
Before you dismiss the idea as too difficult or lonely or demanding, consider the following advantages of driving in a 3PL trucking company:
You’ll be getting paid to explore the country
- Canada is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Few residents get to explore it as well as long-distance truck drivers. You don’t have to take time off work to see the beautiful landscapes; you are getting paid to see Canada.
- One of the current problems facing the trucking industry is a shortage of drivers. The older generation is retiring and not too many young people are keen to join the industry. This more or less assures you of job security – there aren’t people scrambling to take your job.
You don’t need much to get started
- To become a truck driver, all you need to do is get the proper licenses. The training doesn’t take long and you can start earning right away.
You’ll have benefits
- A good 3PL trucking company provides their drivers with benefits and these can come in handy if you have a family. You can compare different companies to see what they have to offer. Benefits can include health and dental, life insurance, and retirement plans. Some offer performance-based incentives. This means you get a bonus if you meet delivery targets for a given period.
You’re outdoors all the time
- If you hate being cooped up, driving for a 3PL trucking company is the perfect job for you. You’re on the road most of the time.
- Most third-party companies are keen to pay their drivers well. Some even provide a signing bonus and take care of your expenses when on the road.
How to Find a Good 3PL Employer
There are many 3PL companies, and they’re not all created equal, especially regarding how they treat employees. Don’t go for the first one that you come across. Use the following tips to find a 3PL trucking company that you’ll be happy with:
- Make a list of the companies you have in mind and then try to find out how much they pay, whether they offer benefits, and whether there are incentives for drivers. How happy you are in a job ultimately depends on how well it pays, so you should look for a company that offers a reasonable wage and if possible, benefits.
- Find out whether you’ll get breaks between long hauls. One of the most common complaints with long-haul drivers is fatigue and exhaustion, so you must rest between long journeys.
- Does the company communicate well with drivers? It can be frustrating to be on the road and unable to keep up with head office dispatches and instructions. Find out how they communicate and what kind of equipment you’ll use to keep in touch.
- Stay fit and healthy to make it easier for employers to hire you. They tend to steer clear of overweight and unfit applicants so that they don’t have to deal with delays caused by driver health problems.
- It helps if you can show a clean driving record. It reassures potential employers that you’re careful on the road.
A career as a driver in a third-party logistics company can be rewarding and profitable if you take the time to find the right employer.